Thursday, March 15, 2012

Caution: Do NOT Read If You Are Hungry!!

Hello everyone!

Sorry I have been non-existent lately...I have been super busy with some freelance gigs (that I just can't share yet, up in here!) and preparing for my upcoming vacation. Promise I will share more art here when I can! Hopefully I will have time to work on some personal art ideas when I return from Vegas with the fam. Next Saturday! Can't wait!

I will have a foodie-based giveaway the week that I return, so be on the lookout for that! I have been super active in the kitchen lately, trying new-to-me things like chia pudding, homemade pesto, overnight oats in a jar,





and new creations like healthy Bang-Bang Shrimp Pasta, taco pie, and a Southwestern chopped quinoa salad inspired by one in the newest Fitness magazine. Agave + apple cider vinegar + lime juice + olive oil + spices makes the BEST dressing....oh man. And for some reason, when fresh salad ingredients are chopped up into itty bitty pieces, they just taste so much better! This reminded me of a salad I would be able to get at Choice Greens in Tucson. MAN I miss that place...and their ciabatta bread. Yum.






We have also checked out some amazing local food joints...South Street Diner in Philly made my dreams come true with a Crab Cake Eggs Benedict,



and La Laconda del Ghiottone in Old City proved to be one of the best Italian joints I have ever encountered. The staff was knowledgable and fun, and oh-so-South-Philly-Italian, the setting is unique and intimate, and the menu...ohhhh the menu....

I was craving mussels, so we ordered those in a red sauce while we sipped on red wine. I planned on sticking with a relatively healthy fish dinner, but when I saw that they had gnocchi on the menu that they make with ricotta (the authentic Italian way!), I had to try! It is a signature dish of theirs and after hearing rave reviews, I went with it. The time that I made my own gnocchi, it was a ricotta gnocchi, as well! So I was pumped to try theirs. It was absolutely delicious; the gorgonzola and tomato sauce was perfectly creamy but not too much so. We all agreed it was the best dish of the night. The serving wasn't huge, so I didn't walk away feeling like a blimp...plus, we all shared a little of each dish that we got. The veal was also spectacular, and the sauce was just as good as mine. No sauce was left behind, thanks to the bread basket at the table.



Plus...BYOB always makes me happy. We came armed with plenty of Malbec! Definitely check out La Laconda if you are in the Philly area.

We also went to our friend's 30th birthday party at Clipper City Brewery in Baltimore (they make Heavy Seas beer) for a beerfest;  Black Cannon IPA was on point. Lots of good brews. We took a pitstop at Little Havana before heading home to Philly. Little Havana....best. Mojitos. Ever. I didn't take many pictures, but hopefully I can get a few from friends who did.


Pup has also gotten plenty of outdoors time, especially since the days have gotten longer (wahoo!!) and the temperature has been hovering around 60-70 degrees around these parts! Spring is in sight!!!








He's also been extra-spoiled since my dad is still at home recovering from his surgery, so Koda gets a lot more social time and extra walks.

And jelly beans. Goodness gracious, does this dog LOVE jelly beans. Even more than spinach and cheese (his two formerly-favorite foods).


Enjoy your Thursday! xoxo

2 comments:

  1. little girl in the big worldMarch 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

    These foods look so yum! My gosh. Where is the recipe for Bang Bang Shrimp pasta from. It sounds like it would be a hit. And the taco pie looks great too! Where do you get this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pinned a few recipes for Bang Bang shrimp so I was craving some, but I pretty much just played around and came up with that product, hoping it would turn out! I will have to type up the recipe....but mainly, I marinated the shrimp and onions in soy sauce/lime juice/cumin/sriracha sauce, sprinkled with ground flax seed and sauteed them in a pan with a bit of EVOO, and then mixed lime juice, diced tomato, black beans, diced avocado, cilantro, wheat spaghetti, and a mixture of soy sauce, sriracha, a few tablespoons of olive oil mayo, and salt and pepper in a bowl and poured in the cooked shrimp and onions. It was really good!

    And the taco pie was inspired by pinterest, I roughly followed this recipe: http://food-management.com/entrees/meat/recipes/idaho-potato-shell-0609/
    ...but added/swapped a few ingredients. I used ground turkey, no BBQ sauce, Smart Balance instead of butter, etc. It was a big hit, I made it for my parents and they loved it, hafta make it again soon.

    ReplyDelete